31.3.10

Influences

These are some of my heroes in the design world. Their work has influenced me and I will always look up to their timeless designs and inspirations.

ALVAR AALTO: a Finnish architect and designer. Aalto studied at the Jyväskylä Lyceum school, which is the High School I later attended. He got his degree in architecture from Helsinki University of Technology. After graduation he returned to Jyväskylä and opened his first architectural office there. And as growing up I was able to admire his work up close. Buildings designed by him were everywhere around my home town. Frank Lloyd Wright called his design for Finnish Pavillion at the 1939 New York World's Fair as a "work of genius". This helped his reputation grow in the USA. Aalto vase is probably the most famous and influential out of all of his designs and I have to admit I have 2 of those at my house.





JEAN PROUVÉ: a French engineer and designer. His main achievement was transferring manufacturing technology from industry to architecture, without losing aesthetic qualities. His furnishings are one of the most sought after mid-century designs. His designs speak of a work philosophy that includes knowledge of the materials at hand, a commitment to collaboration between artists and craftsmen, an attention to evolving technical developments, and "the principle of never postponing decisions so as neither to lose the impetus nor indulge in unrealistic forecasts".



No comments:

Post a Comment